Although the reasons for moving home are usually positive, like moving to a larger property or a new job, the move itself can be traumatic. Use our tips to make the move go smoothly.
Use moving house as an opportunity to sort out your possessions. Throw away your rubbish and separate items that can be given to friends or charity shops. Get boxes well in advance from local shops or supermarkets, and save newspapers for wrapping breakables. For more advice, take a look at our packing tips article.
Consider DIY removals
If you’re moving your belongings yourself, start by hiring the right van – too small and you may need to make a few journeys, too big and you may have problems parking and the extra cost of hire and please don’t forget the fuel. It’s often cheaper to book vans on weekdays but your will have to have time off work and these vans are normally one ones used for the building trade, if you move at the weekends you may be able to make the most of special two-day hire rates, but if what you need moving can be done in a day, why pay for two days and don’t forget van hire companies are normally closed on Sundays. If you’re on a tight budget, don’t have a clean driving licence or the deposit plus the rental and fuel for a van, our man and van service is excellent value for money, you also get extra help as we load and un load your goods.
Professional removal companies
Unless you have very few possessions, call in the professionals SRB couriers to help you move house. It will relieve some of the stress of the big move. You can arrange for it all to be done for you, and pay only a small amount for the privilege, keep the costs down you can do the packing yourself in boxes and leave the heavy stuff to us the experts.
- Hire SRB Couriers removal company at least two weeks before you move
- If you have time get some other quotes, before deciding which one to use contact us last and we guarantee to be your lowest price!
- Make a list of your possessions so you can check if you’ve left anything behind
It will help if you let the company know the following things:
- The amount of furniture you’re moving, so it can choose an adequately sized van and plan the number of journeys needed between your old and new home
- A rough guess of how many boxes the company needs to pack, so it can estimate how long it will take
- The exact time you want to arrive
- Clear instructions and directions to your new property
- Arrange a parking space for the removal van
- Always tell the removal firm well in advance of pieces of furniture which won’t go through the door
- Make a plan of where the furniture needs to go in your new home